Sunday, September 12, 2010

First blog in Africa!

Wow, I'm in Africa and have been for the past three weeks! Can't believe it! At times it has been rough but I know this is where God wanted me to do be. When we first got to Addis it was 6:30 at night and we crashed at a hotel. The next day we were picked up by Suliman who hired a private mini bus to take us to the orphanage, the trip was beautiful and I managed to get a little sleep. When we got to the orphanage we were met by all the kids waving and singing, “We love you and are so happy to see you.” It was so sweet and after singing they gave us a bouquet of flowers that they had picked from the flowers that were around. Two of the kids grabbed my hands and showed me to my room and around the orphanage. It was surreal to actually be walking into to where I was going to be staying for the next nine months. I had heard some stories that there were bugs everywhere and that the shower was interesting so was interested to see how it all worked. Luckily the bugs are small (PRAISE THE LORD!!!!) and the shower is fine always giving luke warm water but it’s nice to have someway to get clean. Also we have a flushing toilet which is unusual and which we are grateful instead of the alternative which would be a hole in the ground. ☺ The weeks have flown by but the days sometime drag. The kids are awesome and it’s taking a while to find a balance of being with them and having alone time but I can’t get enough of them. Don’t get me wrong it’s not perfect here but I’m a lot more content than I am with all the modern conviences of the states. I am forced to rely soley on God and that’s exactly what I needed. I thank you for all the prayers it means SOOOOO much and for the emails and letters. I post them all on my wall and look at them everyday and feel loved! I’m in Gimbi right now (that’s why I can post this) and am visiting my bro who just got here on Thursday. It is beautiful here and a lot different than the orphanage. There are also a lot of amazing people that are volunteering right now so it’s been Awesome! To connect with other Americans and share in the journey. I love you and miss you all!

3 comments:

KJ Photos said...

Sarah!!! I loved reading your blog!! Keep them coming girl!! You will LOVE going back over these and reading them yourself at some point! You are in my prayers all the time, sweet friend!!!

Cindy said...

It was so good to read your blog! Keep up the discipline of writing.Ditto what KJ photos said, You will love re-reading them. I love hearing about your day and what you are feeling and thinking. Don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself. I know you aren't going to hide for hours, so be kind to yourself:). I am praying for you everyday and hope you and Olivia have a safe trip back on Monday. Then, School starts! Whoopee!
Blessings and Lots of Love coming your way.

Cathy said...

Sarah, Great to hear you are doing well! We have been praying for you and Taylor everyday!!! I'm sure you will have lots of stories and experiences to share. I can hardly wait to the next update! God is with you; stay focused and strong in Him.
love, Cathy